TONIGHT’S CONCERT IS A GO! TICKETS NOW JUST $5.
Five concerts will be performed at Breese Stevens Field on Wednesday evenings at 7pm beginning July 7. Due to ongoing pandemic safety concerns for the public and the orchestra musicians, as well as the current Dane County Public Health Order guidelines, the audience capacity will likely be around 1,500 per concert.
In addition, all concerts will be livestreamed for free so more Madisonians can experience this 38-year tradition. “We can’t wait to get back on the Square in 2022. But in the meantime, to protect our neighbors in this community, we’re thrilled to broadcast all five concerts live from Breese Stevens Field this summer,” says WCO CEO Joe Loehnis.
The concert line-up will all take place at Breese Stevens Field and is subject to change:
July 7 Summon the Heroes, an Independence Day Celebration
July 14 Bringing Us Together - Put A Little Love in Your Heart, featuring Leotha Stanley and Friends
July 21 Shakespeare in Love, featuring Xavier Foley, bass soloist Young Concert Artist
July 28 Disco Inferno, featuring Jeans ‘n Classics
August 4 Tchaikovsky Rocks, with Maxim Lando, piano, 2020 Gilmore Young Artist
With limited seating capacity at Breese Stevens Field, the WCO will sell the roughly 1,500 seats as blanket pods and bleacher seating for a nominal fee to maintain the social distancing and safety protocols required. Tickets go on sale near Memorial Day and will be as low as $5. All funds from the sale of the limited seating will support wages for the orchestra’s 34 musicians.
Loehnis adds, “It is important for our orchestra and community that we keep our musicians employed and working through COVID-19. Charging a nominal fee to reserve a spot at Breese Stevens Field gives us an opportunity to bring together our community to support the musicians that provide so much joy to all of us. 100% of our ticket sales for Concerts on the Square this summer will directly support our musicians.”
Maestro Andrew Sewell celebrates his 22nd year with the orchestra. “We’re thrilled to find a way to perform again for Madison this summer. As musicians, we are excited to perform on the field alongside our audience,” says Sewell.
Corporate sponsors and patrons wishing to purchase a table will continue to have that unique experience this summer as well.
Concerts on the Square Program
July 7 at 7pm: “Summon the Heroes”
- The WCO’s annual Independence Day celebration featuring Sousa, John Williams, and the 1812 Overture
- Will also feature Antonio Wu (piano), winner of the 2020 WCO Young Artist Concert Competition
July 14 at 7pm: “Bringing Us Together - Put A Little Love in Your Heart”
- A journey through classical to modern, with emphasis on black composers from the '30s to today
- Featuring special guests Leotha Stanley and Friends with gospel favorites
July 21 at 7pm: “Shakespeare in Love”
- A tour of classical repertoire inspired by the works of Shakespeare
- Featuring special guest Xavier Foley, an award-winning young double bassist representing the next generation of great classical performers
July 28 at 7pm: “Disco Inferno”
- Frequent collaborators Jeans ‘n Classics join us for their 8th Concert on the Square
- Featuring disco and funk favorites, such as Disco Inferno, Boogie Wonderland, and The Hustle
August 4 at 7pm: “Tchaikovsky Rocks”
- Featuring world-class young pianist with Madison roots, Maxim Lando
- Performing Tchaikovsky’s beloved Piano Concerto No. 1 in addition to other classic Tchaikovsky works