The Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra has adopted a strategic plan to guide its decision-making over the next five years.
This Strategic Plan identifies three specific pillars for fostering a sustainable future:
- Financial Responsibility
- Organizational Identity
- Purposeful Diversity
To strengthen communities through innovative, high-quality artistic experiences that entertain, inspire, and unite diverse audiences.
The WCO will make financial responsibility a core foundation of its decision-making. Strategies include –
- Adopt and adhere to balanced or surplus operating budgets.
- Optimize existing opportunities for revenue from ticket sales, sponsorships, and donor contributions.
- Identify and prioritize artistic endeavors that either generate income, are income-neutral, or both generate immediate non-financial benefits and are reasonably likely to lead to significant future revenues.
The WCO will cultivate a meaningful and unique identity—in the music it performs, in how that music is presented, and in the experiences, vibe, and sense of belonging it creates for its audiences. Strategies include –
- Establish and communicate the WCO’s identity and brand.
- Emphasize innovative artistic endeavors that feature composers, soloists, musicians, and other artistic collaborators who are living, up and coming, or of diverse backgrounds.
- Increase the community presence of the WCO through robust and impactful youth and education initiatives.
The WCO will pursue diversity and inclusion for many purposes: to access more and varied perspectives, to improve decision-making, to become more relevant to more stakeholders, to ensure its programs are inclusive and accessible for everyone, to enrich the organization and community, and to advance its Mission. Strategies include –
- Attract and retain organizational personnel and audiences of diverse backgrounds.
- Ensure the WCO’s programs are as welcoming, inclusive, and accessible as possible for all members of the community—including, for example, by diversifying what, where, and how the WCO performs.
- Leverage the League of American Orchestra’s Catalyst Incubator Grant Program and Nehemiah Center for Urban Leadership consultancy.